How to Get a Good Psychic Reading
This article was written by Maria Shaw
posted under Psychic Powers & ESP
Did you know what everyone is psychic? Sure, we all have intuitive powers but some of us have developed them more than others. There are also many people who are scared of �seeing� things and deny these gifts. Intuition is certainly nothing to be frightened of or intimidated by. The more you use it, the more it grows and becomes a natural part of your life.
What kind of images does the word �psychic� conjure up for you? An old gypsy woman with a crystal ball? A wizard? Perhaps you think of Ms. Cleo on the Psychic Hot Line.
Well, psychics, mediums, astrologers, and readers come from all walks of life these days. They are no longer found in dimly lit rooms with flashing neon signs, advertising their craft. Many are holistic health practitioners, nurses, psychologists, teachers, and people who have developed a gift who wish to share it. Many share their knowledge through workshops, books, and lectures—informing others about how to develop their own skills. The new age field is exploding and becoming more mainstream. Almost everyone has had his or her palm read, or checked out the daily horoscopes in the paper.
New age professionals are setting up private offices, hosting television and radio programs, and joining lecture circuits. All are using their intuitive powers, but some use different tools to aid them in receiving and forecasting messages. Because there are so many different types of readings available, here�s a list of the most popular ones:
- Clairaudient Reading: The reader hears things, receives messages from spirit by listening.
- Channeled Reading: A psychic goes into a trance-like state and channels other energies or spirits to receive messages. The spirit works through the reader, who passes information on to you.
- Psychometric Reading: The reader senses vibrations as they hold or touch your personal items, such as rings or watches. Through the sense of touch, they will receive psychic impressions.
- Psychic Reading: The reader uses his or her intuition to make predictions. Sometimes the reader visualizes or sees events unfolding in his or her mind�s eye.
- Tarot reading: The reader uses a 78-card deck used to forecast and interpret the past, present, and future.
- Palm Reading (Palmistry): The reader studies the lines on the palms of clients’ hands and makes predictions based on what the formations indicate.
- Numerological Reading: The study of numbers in a person�s name or birth date to predict events and life path.
- Graphological Reading: Hand writing analysis. The seer studies a person�s writing to predict personality traits.
- Scrying: The reader uses a crystal ball or a plate to see images and make predictions.
- Dream Analysis: The reader interprets dreams.
- Card Reading: The reader uses a regular deck of playing cards used to predict past, present, and future events.
- Candle reading: Psychic looks into the flames of a burning candle for visions.
- Tea Leaf Reading: The reader uses leaf formation and images found in a tea cup to predict upcoming events.
- Astrological Reading: The science of astrology uses planetary influences to suggest opportunity and challenging times. An astrology chart is cast for a person based on his or her birthday, time of birth, and city of birth. The chart also can suggest basic personality traits of the individual.
- Aura Reading: The reader interprets the colors visible in your energy field.
- Past Life Regression: A regression guides you back to a previous life through the use of hypnotherapy or meditation. The goal is to see who and what you were in a previous lifetime, and to help solve problems or change patterns in your current lifetime caused by you past-life experiences. You may also be able to discover past life connections with people you know today.
How to Find a Good Reader
Since the early 1990s I have organized psychic fun fairs in my home state of Michigan. I have hired readers of all types to work at these events. I am often asked �What is the best type of reading to get?� and �Where can I find a good psychic?� I suggest getting referrals. If you have a friend who has had their cards or palms read, ask them how they liked the reader and if their predictions proved true. Looking in the phone book or calling a 900-line is risky, and can be expensive. A better idea is to attend a psychic fair in your area and ask fairgoers for their opinions of the individual readers.
Here�s a list of good rules to follow:
- Ask around. Get referrals.
- If you call for information, go with your gut feeling. How do you feel about the reader?
- Never let anyone push you into booking an appointment.
- Avoid 900-lines unless they have a good reputation and you can be connected to a specific psychic that comes recommended. Some have their own extension lines. But, the cost of 900-lines can add up, so be careful.
- Don�t assume the most expensive reader is the best. I have been to big-name readers who have charged several hundred dollars for a session and absolutely nothing they told me came true. I�ve also spent $20 at a fair and the psychic was right on the money.
Things to Ask
- Ask the reader about fees, and also about the specific type of reading you can expect. Also inquire how long the session will last, what you need to bring to the appointment, and if you are allowed to ask questions after the reading is finished.
- Ask if you can bring a tape recorder or take notes. Some readers do not allow recordings of the sessions. Others welcome it.
- Don�t be afraid to ask prospective readers to tell you a little bit about their background and experience. For example, how long they have been reading and what they specialize in. Some readers specialize in specific areas such as relationships or health.
When You Book Your Appointment
- Be on time. Come with an open mind. Don�t be nervous. Many times seeing a reader is just like going into a counseling session. There really isn�t anything spooky about it. But first-timers can be a little intimidated. So relax. Take a few deep breaths.
- Sit directly in front of the reader unless you are directed to do otherwise. Don�t cross your arms or legs; this can block energy between you and the psychic.
- Don�t start talking and asking a lot of questions up front. Let the reader do the talking. See what she or he has to say first. If you are telling the reader everything about yourself, then you are not getting a reading. The psychic can be influenced by what you are saying, and this may influence the outcome of your reading. I like to do what I call a �cold read� first. I prefer to begin without the client asking any questions, allowing me to see what I �pick up.� Then I ask for questions toward the end of the session.
- If a reader is asking you for a lot of information, then you�re not getting your money�s worth. You are giving them information to build on. There is a difference between this and confirming if the reader is on the right track. A good reader will not ask you, �How old are you? Are you married? Are you in school? What hobbies you do have?� They should be telling you these things! Sometimes, a reader will ask you for confirmation to make sure she is on the right track. For example: �I see you are working part time right now, on the weekends at a restaurant. Is this correct?� This time, it would be okay to answer back. It helps the reader to know she is making an accurate connection, and then she can move on to further predictions.
- It is not polite to shake your head �no� all the time, even if the reader is telling you things that you do not agree with or understand at the time. Perhaps she is telling you of things that will happen in the future. Be open to the information, write it down, and see what manifests in the future. After all, you are here to see what lies ahead!
- Have a list of questions. After the reader is finished, she may ask you if you have any. Some she may have already answered, but if not here�s your chance. You can ask now for more details and clarification about something that was already discussed in the reading, too.
- Some people try to �test� the reader. They�ll ask, �What did I have for breakfast today?� or �What is my mother�s name?� While there are some psychics who may be able to answer these questions, you can�t reasonable expect a reader to know everything. A medium receives messages but not always the ones you expect to hear.
If you find a good medium, hang on to him. There are a lot of ordinary readers out there, but very few are great! Remember that no one can be 100% accurate, but you should expect a reader to be at least 80%-85% accurate in his or her predictions. Finding a reader that �connects� with you is important, too. Your best friend may see a psychic that she rants and raves about. That psychic may be 90% accurate on your friend�s predictions but only so-so for you. Shopping for a reader is like shopping for a good pair of shoes. Some fit just right, others don�t!
There are those readers with whom you�ll make a personal connection right away. Others you�ll walk away from, wondering, �what did he really tell me?� Have a little patience and an open mind, and don�t give up. Besides referrals, you can find psychics at the new age fairs, expos, and on the Internet.
Don�t waste a lot of money trying out different people. You can get mini readings at fairs for as little as $10. A full reading, depending on the area in which you live, can range from $50 to $90. In larger cities, and with psychics that have appeared on television and radio, fees may be higher, ranging from $100 on up to $600.
What You Should Expect from A Reading
- An average full reading can range anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Some readers can give you quite a bit of information in as little as twenty minutes. If you have a lot of issues, you may need more time, so an hour is not unreasonable, especially for an in-depth astrology reading.
- Your reader should give you details and possible timeframes for events to unfold.
- Besides personality traits and reading the �past,� a reader should be able to give you predictions for your future. Some readings are good for three to six months, others for up to a year. Ask your reader how long your reading is good for.
- The reader should allow you to ask a few questions.
On another note, I want you to know that nothing is written in stone. If you do not like something in your reading, you can change it. Readings can tell us of times ripe with opportunity, and warn us when to be cautious. If I were to read your cards and tell you that you could get a speeding ticket tomorrow on a certain road, you could change the outcome of that. You either won�t drive that road tomorrow or you�ll be extra cautious. So remember, you can change what is said. You do have control over your own destiny. If I saw that you would have money problems in the next few months, you may decide to take that information and change the outcome of the prediction by not splurging on �extras� or getting a part-time job.
I do not believe psychics should tell people anything bad—such as that they are going to get a terminal illness—unless they have a chance to change it. This is one reason �first-timers� are scared to get a reading because they don�t want to hear anything negative. I have heard horror stories of psychics telling people they have a dark cloud over their head or a hex on them. Then the so-called adviser wanted the client to give them $400 to burn candles to take the spell away. These are the type of readers that give the truly gifted ones a bad name. These bad apples have caused our new age industry to be looked down upon or viewed with skepticism.
Scam artists prey on people�s emotions and make empty promises. They do exist, and there are plenty of them out there. If you encounter such a person, refuse to believe and immediately leave. Do not give them any of your money. I also suggest turning them in to the local law enforcement agency. This is another reason why referrals are the way to go when searching for a reader.
A good, honest reader will give you choices. He will give you encouragement and hope. He will be positive and upbeat. You should feel happy and more in control of your destiny after a reading. If there is a challenging period approaching, a good reader will tell you how to work around it, deal with it, or completely avoid it. You are the only person who controls your fate. A reading is like a flashlight; It can light your path, but ultimately, you must be the one who chooses to walk it—or not.
Article location at the Lewellen Journal